Wednesday 3 November 2010

Halloween, Boats and Monks

Hey !

The last few weeks here in Kamong Cham are coming to an end. On Saturday I leave for the coast and my new home in Kampot Province. I have one week there to find a new house and meet with the schools. Then its back here for more language lessons and the all important motor bike training. I'll miss my little bicycle but it's time to get something more powerful ! Vrooom Vroooom

The emphasis to date has been on language. I know over 100 words now !! And its nice to be able to chat to people on the street even if it is only to tell them that ''yes I like bananas and I like to swim in my free time." My teacher Dara, whom I had breakfast with this morning is quite a man. He recalled his life during the Khmer Rouge to myself and Amanda this morning. He lived in a refugee camp on the Thai border for 10 years. He lost his father, and other members of his family during the regime. He is a lovely man- he has many girlfriends and likes whiskey !

We celebrated Halloween in Jo's restaurant , it was one to remember,  everyone had a good time and we learned a bit of Khmer traditional dancing to boot!

Last Sunday we went to see a boat race on the Mekong River. It was pretty impressive! They are competing for the finals in PP next week, all part of the Water Festival. VSO are the only NGO allowed to enter a boat every year, unfortunately we cant go.

This afternoon after school I took a little wander out into the country side and came across a lovely pagoda, which had some young  monks there. Many of them are orphans or their parents just sent them there as they cant afford to raise them. I sat and spoke to the main guy, who repeated ad nausem how busy he was cutting bamboo etc, mind you I have yet to see him do any work! The younger monks are doing it all!

 I feel quite at home in this beautiful country with its million smiles and its enchanting ways.

Lea Hi

xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment